Monday, September 12, 2016

Day 1 - the last one, ever

Today is day 1. Again, I know, but today is a different Day 1.

It will be the last Day 1 I will ever experience.

I feel strangely liberated that I don't "have to" drink anymore.  Instead, I can be sober, relaxed and happy. I don't need to cloud my thinking, fog up my brain, ruin my health and finances and spiral ever downwards.

Today was not difficult in the least.

For the last time, I've stopped by the corner store and stuffed my empty wine bottles into the public rubbish bin. I don't have to look around anymore to see if anyone I know is watching.

I did not think much about alcohol during the day.

When the witching hour rolled along, I did not have any cravings. It feels good not to have to drink anymore. A weight has lifted.

During dinner, I had an argument with my husband.

Another reason to stop drinking is that I need to sort my relationship. I don't yet know where this is going, but I know I can't have discussions and arguments with him when I'm drunk. Because then everything will be my fault. Because I'm a drunk and he can be righteous.

I don't have to be a drunk anymore. As of today, I am sober. And I have no fear of staying sober for the rest of my life. It's not daunting at all. It's a relief. I don't have to drink for the rest of my life.

I no longer have to handle problems that are caused by alcohol.

I can have my life back. I'm looking forward to Day 2.




No comments:

Post a Comment