Thursday, October 6, 2016

Picking up pizza

In a few minutes I'll drive off to the pizza place with this amazing wood-fired crust pizza and will pick up our dinner for tonight.

A few weeks ago that would not have been possible. By this time of day, just before 7 pm, I would have been near the bottom of my first bottle of red wine and no longer fit to drive. A spontaneous idea like "Let's pick up a few pizzas tonight" would have met with my disapproval and probably resulted in an argument, unhappy kids, turned off husband.

Tonight is different. I don't drink alcohol any more, and I don't ever want to again. I am free to hop in the car at any time of day or night. I'm no longer under the influence and not DUI in the first place.

Add to that the glorious feeling of being free of the burden alcohol comes with. And the fact that I don't have any withdrawal symptoms. And no cravings. I hardly ever think about drinking. And I really don't spend all my days thinking about NOT drinking, either.

Just like it should be.

It is entirely possible to stop drinking without horrible withdrawal symptoms and without having to hit a rock bottom as bad as losing everything you care for. I've abused alcohol for over ten years. I had my last drink 25 days ago. I've had enough.

Just wanted to get that out there. Suffering is not mandatory when you want to stop.

Off now. Pizza is almost done.

3 comments:

  1. After I made the mistake of driving after a dinner party and got a DUI, I swore never to drink alcohol again. I love the feeling of going out to eat without needing a drink to have fun. We can have dinner, hit the movies, and walk around without fear of me doing something stupid again out of my control.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To go 25 years, and past that DUI really is an accomplishment. The struggle is real, and I bet you remember every single day along that 25 year span, especially the early ones. In time they say the cravings stop, but those memories will never go away because you look back at what you were and marvel at how far you really have come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eliseo, thanks for your comment. You do me more honors than I deserve. I'm not even a year sober. At the time of writing that post it was 25 DAYS, not years, but yeah, the struggle is real.

      Delete